Rottalu/Rotta is a flat bread that is cooked on a griddle. It is an integral part of Vysya Cuisine. It can be made with wheat flour, rice flour, ragi flour, maida etc,. This is a very simple yet tasty recipe and it’s usually had for dinner. This recipe is made with wheat/godhumai flour. Now, to the recipe!
Yields: 16 rotta
Wheat Flour: 1.5 cups
Green Chilli Paste: ½ tsp
Curry Leaves: 2 spring
Water: 1.5 cups
Oil: 1 tbsp + to make rotta
Salt: as required
Dice the onions and keep it aside.
Grind few green chillies with little salt in a mixie and keep it ready.
Chop the curry leaves and keep it aside.
In a pan add a tbsp of oil and fry onions for few minutes.
Add 1.5 cups of water, green chilli paste, curry leaves and required salt.
Once the water starts to boil, reduce the flame and add the wheat flour. Keep stirring without any lumps. Once you mix the flour well and the water is completely absorbed switch off the flame.
Make a lemon sized ball out of the mixture when you can bear the heat (You can also dip your hands in water and make the balls).
If you have a roti presser you can flatten the balls by applying oil and toast both the sides in a dosa tawa/griddle.
If you don’t have a roti presser you can use Kitchen Foil/Aluminium Foil. And follow the below procedure:
- Take a big piece of aluminium foil and place a ball in the middle. Add ½ tsp of oil and spread it on all sides of the ball.
- Close the other end of the foil and press it with a plate or the wooden board of the chappathi maker.
- Then release it gently from the foil and roast in a tawa until golden brown on both the sides.
- Make slightly thick rotta so that it will not break when you release it from the foil.
Repeat the same procedure with rest of the balls.
Godhuma Rotta Dough Preparation
Making of Godhuma Rotta
Enjoy with any thokku (do check my thokku collection if you haven’t ☺)!
- For a cup of flour add a cup of water (1:1)
- If you want it more spicier add more green chilli paste.
- If you grind the chilli paste with little salt and refrigerate, it will stay fresh for couple of weeks.