Vegetable Sambar needs no introduction. It is a healthy lentil soup dish that is prepared in many different ways. It is a simple but very yummy dish and it can be had with rice/idli/dosa. This recipe is the one that is made in our home. Do check my Sambar Powder if you haven’t ☺!! Now, let’s go to the recipe straight away!
Toor dal: 1/3 cup
Turmeric: a pinch
Gingelly oil: ¼ tsp
Carrots: 3 diced
Beans: 100 g chopped
Tomato: 2 chopped
Onion: 2 chopped big
Tamarind paste: 1 tsp
Jaggery: 1 tbsp
Salt: as required
Coconut: 1/3 cup
Roasted Chenna dal: 1 tbsp
Sambar Powder: 3 tsp
Mustard: ½ tsp
Curry Leaves: 1 spring
Oil: 1 tsp
Wash the dal and add enough water and a pinch of turmeric and oil to it. Pressure cook for 5 whistles or until soft. Chop the vegetables and pressure cook until soft but not mushy. You can also cook with dal.
In a mixie add coconut,sambar powder and roasted chenna dal and grind to a smooth paste with little water. Once the pressure subsides, in a pan mix the dal, cooked vegetables, tamarind paste, salt, jaggery and ground paste. Add enough water (sambar should not be runny) and cook until it starts to boil. Do the seasoning and pour on the top.
Enjoy with rice topped with ghee and appalams!
- You can add more dal and skip the coconut if you prefer. But, this tastes awesome. Highly recommended!
- Adjust jaggery as per your taste.
- Add chilli powder if you want it spicier.
- Add hing while seasoning for more flavour.
- Garnish with coriander.
- You can add pearl onions for a better taste.
- Radish, drumstick etc,. can also be used with these.